Friday, May 1, 2009

Rock, me, and the hard place, respectively

I found out yesterday when I was doing the payroll that the store hired and promptly fired a handful of salespeople earlier in April. I had met a few of them and had wondered why I never met them again. Turns out they couldn't cut it. Some of them only worked as much as 2 days before being let go.

Which is where things start to get a bit ironic. I know the only reason I'm still around is because they're keeping me around as the bookkeeper. I haven't sold a single thing this whole month, so I know if it weren't for my bookkeeping skills (or what little of it I have), I'd be gone. But I took up opticianry in order to get away from bookkeeping. Oh well.

Speaking of selling stuff, I had a customer snap on me for the first time today for being too pushy. It was funny in the sense that it'd be funny if it didn't happen to you; I hate pushy sales people and now I've become one. Not that I was willingly being pushy. A couple walked in and I asked if they needed help. They said no, they were just browsing. So I walked off. My boss, who was watching the whole time, pushed me back twice to keep trying. By the second time, the man snapped on me in the middle of store.
So I guess that's what being stuck between a rock and a hard place is like. I get the feeling I'll be stuck there more often this summer. Can't wait.

1 comment:

Grizzly Fair said...

gah poor darren
Your boss is pushy!