Saturday, January 17, 2009

Pretentious alert

A few years back, my friends all chipped in for a partition/picture frame thing for my birthday and a document that entitled me one day to take their portraits to fill up the frames. Long story short, I never got around to it. As the years went by, it became my goal to fill up the 15 frames.

The original project was to let my friends direct their own portrait: where I took it, color or black and white picture, the way they dressed, their actions, the angle, etc. They had total creative control. Most of them didn't really know where to begin, so I told some of them "How would you want to be remembered?". It didn't work; there were too many variables that they were in control of and required more resources than were really available.

The pretentious part: I realized it was better if I took away all the variables. Have one setting; a blank wall with one light set the same position for every photo. They were to dress how they normally would dress. The camera position was to remain the same. The only thing they could really control were their actions and facial expressions. I figured their expressions and body language would say more about their character and personality than fancy things like costumes and fancy backgrounds. If I was to remember my friends, I'd want an honest representation of them.

So this is it. There weren't supposed to be props in the pictures, but that's what happens when I let them drink before I take their portraits.



Then I realized the outlet was in the frame and moved Lenny over.






















I need your help choosing which photos of who I should put in the frame. Suggestions/votes?

4 comments:

Leonard Chan said...

haha thanks for taking our photos man i like how they turned out

J said...

they came out great.
michelle is super adorable.

Anonymous said...

Not knowing any of these people personally, I've based my choices solely on the pictures themselves:

#3, 8, 9, 10, 16, 18, 20, 22 (love this one!)

audreyssyp said...

owen's face is a national treasure