Monday, January 19, 2009

In the end

After being told that dinner wouldn't be ready until some time after 8, I went out for a smoke in the hopes that it would kill my hunger a bit. As I stood outside, I heard singing in the distance. And even in the distance, it was kind of loud. I thought maybe it was just music blaring from someone's car.
The source of the singing came closer and closer.
Then I realized it was actually someone singing. I could see a girl walking on the opposite side of the street walking, disappearing behind the giant piles of snow on the lawns every few seconds. She was just belting it out, with no shame.
Why is this of any importance? Because despite her sheer confidence in her singing and not caring who heard it, her singing was absolutely godawful. The nearer she got, the more awful I realized it was. In fact, the singing was so bad, I didn't even recognize the song she was singing until I started listening to the words.

"I TRIED SO HARRRRRRRRRD AND GOT SO FAR BUT IN THE ENNNNNND, IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTERRRRRRRRRRR"

She was singing Linkin Park. Turns out she lives 2 houses down from me; I'm sure she's the same girl Matt shamelessly calls out to whenever we hang out on my front porch. I have no idea if she saw me smoking, but even if she did, it didn't matter to her. By the time she got to the front steps of her house, it was loud enough to sound like she was yelling in my ear.
She must have really been feeling that song.

3 comments:

Leonard Chan said...

oh gawd. i heard a fucker singing linkin park on the weekend too.

Owen said...

lol lol lol lol/lol lol lol lol lol

(four out of five lols)

Anonymous said...

An alternate and better ending to this story would have been you notifying her that it's 2009.