Monday, July 27, 2009

Memory

Another thing I plan on doing this summer is cleaning up my room. My room is in a perpetual state of messiness. I always do a half-assed job of cleaning it up, which never lasts long because I end up messing it up within the same day anyway. Part of the problem is that I'm a packrat. I can never bring myself to throw out a lot of stuff. Even if I've kept it for 5 years and never once used it, I'll think "What if one day I need to use it?". Like, I have a pair of those red and blue 3D glasses. When the fuck am I ever going to use those?
Other useless things I've kept:
-all my old Metropasses
-user manuals for things I don't even have anymore
-a giant battery for...something. I don't even know what.
-a Bic lighter that ran out of fluid maybe 3 years ago
-floppy disks. Floppy disks! No one uses floppies anymore!
-an empty box of matches
-pens and markers that don't even work
-rubber wristwatch strap
-bottle of rubber cement that I'm sure has solidified
Anyway, you get the picture. I'm going to slowly throw out any and all shit I don't need/use. I'm also going to have to get rid of a lot clothes I no longer wear.

Part of the cleaning up process was done today. I bought boxes to properly store all my photos, rather than tossing them into a plastic crate. While I was moving them into the boxes, I played a game with myself; I'd pull out a random photo and see if I could remember the story behind it. I could only remember maybe half of them, and even then, for the ones I could remember, I could only remember the moment that the photo was taken, but never the moment leading up to it or what happened after. I could remember where the photo was taken, but never what the hell I was doing there. But I guess it doesn't say much; most of the time, we were loitering anyway. I wonder if I'll be able to remember any of it 10 years from now.

2 comments:

michelle said...

i have this same problem too. you can use the glasses to look silly and take silly pictures!

Owen said...

I WANNA LOOK THROUGH YO BOXES