Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Soup and homework

My parents have a habit of buying a lot of certain foods and then storing the majority of them in the basement, where they are promptly forgotten. Like tins of soup. We rarely drink soup in our household.
My dad is also the kind of person who is pretty lax with expiry dates. I'm the complete opposite. It's because of his lack of concern for expiry dates that led to 3 out of 4 members of my family (myself included) getting food poisoning one weekend. Since then, I've never really trusted him completely with food.
Today, we had clam chowder with our dinner. I knew it was from one of the tins in the basement. The question was how long it had been down there. He knows what I'm like when I refuse to eat something; he knows it's because I don't trust him. He gets kind of offended. So I ate my soup gingerly. Then I checked the can afterward.
September 2007. I had to ask Sergio for his opinion.
"Dude, do you think September 2007 is the expiry date or the date it was packaged?"
"That's the expiry date, dude"
I'm waiting for the onslaught of diarrhea.

As for Sergio, I helped him with his math homework today. His new trade is carpentry and he's currently in school for it. He had difficulty with it and since I'm Asian, he asked me for help.
"This will take only half an hour to an hour of your time. Then I'll be out of your way"
He showed up maybe 40 minutes later (after promising he'd be here in 20 minutes).
"So dude, I was thinking...how about you just kill it for me and then on the weekend, explain it all to me?"
"Wait...so you want me to do your homework for you?"
I agreed to it only for purposes of saving time. I have a midterm tomorrow to study for and it'd be quicker to just do it for him and get it out of the way. The problem was when he said it would take anywhere from half an hour to an hour; I had assumed he was talking about in terms of difficulty rather than the number of questions I had to do. The work itself was really easy, but there was something like 10 pages to do.
"Dude, this is all due tomorrow?"
"Yeah"
"And when did you get this?"
"Monday"
It really did take an hour. His teacher will probably notice the handwriting changes from Sergio's to mine two pages in, but according to Sergio, his teacher doesn't care.

Anyway, I'm going to study now.