Saturday, May 28, 2011

Ain't nuthin' but a G1 thang

So I got a G1 again. Just writing/saying that, I feel silly; how many people in Canada will ever say that they got their G1 license a second time?

The process was much smoother than our attempt on Thursday, in that both Mark and I had our shit together this time, although the wait was substantially longer (2 fuckin' hours!). All those jokes Americans make about the DMV apply to the DriveTest centers here. Mark killed time by criticizing people aloud, even if they were sitting two feet away from us. I, in turn, killed time by squirming uncomfortably at Mark criticizing people aloud and responding to him in what can only be described as half-whispering and half-mumbling. I like to call it "whumbling".

The vision test process was pretty questionable. For everyone else that remembers taking their G1, there's a part where after you stick your face in the little box, and after you've read lines of numbers, they flash some lights and you have to say which side it's flashing from: right or left. I know I have my stupid days, but I know which side is right and which side is left. There were a few instances where I could clearly see it only from one side, but was told that I was wrong. Instead of just marking it down that I got it wrong and moving on with the test, the girl made me try it repeatedly.
"No, really, I swear, I only see the blinking light from the left"
"Try it again"
"I am. It's not any different"
"You're not supposed to tell me which side you see it from, you're only supposed to tell me which eye you see it with"
"Well, I'm closing my left eye now and keeping just my right eye open. I don't see any blinking lights"
"Try again"
So I lied, because if I had kept insisting what I really saw, the girl wasn't going to proceed with the rest of the test. For some reason, the girl made me try the entire test all over again, this time without glasses. I scored worse, and at some points, I was clearly guessing. In the end, the girl decided wearing glasses was not a mandatory condition for my license, despite having scored worse on my vision test without them.

I'm not going to lie, I was somewhat proud that I passed, because even though anyone that isn't a complete moron can pass it easily, I seem to have bad luck with tests when it comes to DriveTest. Also, I spent my time studying on the shitter, which isn't a whole lot of time. Mark had boldly decided to write the test without studying anything. He was only one correct answer away from passing, which is unfortunate, but very impressive by my standards.

Anyway, that's one less major hurdle to get through for the summer. I just gotta worry about graduating now.

3 comments:

audreyssyp said...

he had so much time to study while waiting! doesn't it cost money to take the test again?
i am clearly boring because i am asking such old person questions. i am not reckless or hardcore AT ALL.

Owen said...

All my study time was on the shitter too. I studied for like four hours a day.

HEY AUDREY LET'S MAKE A DATE TO CLIP COUPONS OUT OF FLIERS REAL SOON OK?

audreyssyp said...

Hey Owen!!! We should extreme coupon together.
People will whisper racist things about us being Asian and cheap and we won't care because we're paying $10 for $400 worth of mustard.