Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Frustration

I figured out on Sunday how much 20 minutes of my time is worth, apparently. It's worth exactly $452. The value may change in the future, but on Sunday, it was worth $452 dollars.

I had to cater to two air-headed women, trying to suppress my urge to yell at them to get the hell out of the store while we were closing. You either have to be either incredibly oblivious or have a lot of nerve to walk into a store when they're clearly closing. It's okay if you don't know what time the mall closes, but the fact that the staff are vacuuming the store might be a hint. And when you ask what time the store closes and the staff more or less answer with "Now", the considerate thing is to say "Oh sorry" and leave. Not continue looking at whatever the hell the store is selling. At first, I was trying to subtly discourage them from buying, by telling them most of what they tried on looked ugly on them. I'd have just told them they were too ugly for anything, but that's pushing it a little too much.
Then one of them found a pair of sunglasses she really liked. So I figured it'd be easier to just convince her to buy them instead of discouraging her. Ani helped too. I dunno about her, but I've never tried so hard to sell overpriced ($400) sunglasses to someone in my life. I once sold a pair of $1200 sunglasses and had an easier time. It was ridiculous how much I was holding back. She took forever to decide.
Skipping forward, she finally decided to buy it. She handed me her debit card. I had it in my hand. I was in the middle of punching the amount into the machine when I told her the total amount.
"That's $452 total"
She didn't take into account the tax. Paying $400 was okay for sunglasses, but not $452. So she had to call her mom for advice. She must have been my age. Maybe older. If you're 26 and you need to call your mom on whether or not you should spend your own money, you're not ready to be on your own. The mother said no. Although, the girl pointed out something didn't make sense: "That was advice from a woman who spends $3000 on sunglasses". SO THEN WHY ARE YOU TAKING HER ADVICE? Ani and I both had to smile like it was all gravy as she and her friend walked out. The reason spoiled people are spoiled is because no one's taken the time to kick their asses. I work in a mall that caters to people who have never had their asses kicked.
We weren't near done closing the store and this daffy bitch held us up for 20 minutes for nothing. If she had bought it, it would at least have been worth my while. And that's how I've deduced that 20 minutes of my time is worth $452. Meaning an hour of my time is worth $1356.

Damn, I cost about as much as a high class hooker. That is how much a high class hooker costs, right? That seems expensive enough.

3 comments:

Owen said...

I only know how much ladyman hookers cost.

michelle said...

oh you sexy hermaphrodite ladyman-ladies!

animast11 said...

The day after a woman came in while I was mopping and said sorry I know yours closing but a friend of mine told me about the Maui Jim's do you have any? I say yess we doooo all annoyed. But then I said to myself lets try again I might have a chance with this one. I'm worth $230 for two minutes! Cha ching!