Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Anatomy of Melancholy



I went to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor with Owen last night. Let's just cut to the chase: they were fuckin' good. Even Seth Rogen would change his mind about them. I'll admit I was apprehensive at first; I figured I'd stand there for 3 hours and listen to a total of 4 songs while they dinked around on stage. I'm happy to report there was no dinking around and the whole thing was pretty fuckin' intense from beginning to end*. I caught myself with my mouth agape a few times. It was worth every cent of Owen's money, har har.
I'm not really sure what else to say; for the most part, I'm still kind of speechless.

Other highlights from last night:
-French Canadian dude trying to talk to us while we were waiting in line. I hate it when all people can talk about is music. Well, I hate it when all people can talk about is any one thing. He gave up on talking to us and began talking to the couple behind him, starting off his convo the exact same way he did with us. It almost sounded rehearsed.
-the people stamped my wrist with a stamp that reads "WEINER".
-"$20 for a poster?!?! ...okay, I'll take one"
-the Sadies were surprisingly good, even though I'm usually very dismissive of opening bands and I really don't like country-rock bands. They also did this sort of *ahem* guitar reach-around thing that's a lot more awesome than it sounds.

-despite having been at Lee's Palace numerous times before, I told Owen "Lee's Palace looks a lot bigger in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World".
-instead of standing throughout the whole show, which I dreaded, we managed to snag seats on the wooden benches. Have you ever sat on those things for more than 15 minutes? It fucking hurts your legs. After 15 minutes, you get pins and needles. I know I'm not the only one that was in pain, because I saw both Owen and the girl next to him frequently bring their legs up and hug their knees against them. So sit or stand, you lose either way.
-asking the cab driver if he could get me home on a flat rate of $22 (it's all the cash I had on me). He grudgingly agreed, only for me to realize you could pay by debit, which I didn't bother telling him until we got to my destination. Then he grumbled about having to start up the debit machine, which takes 2 minutes. Yeah, I'm a dick.


*by end, I mean the time I left. I'll admit I didn't stay for the whole set because it was already late and I had to get home.

No comments: