Sunday, March 1, 2009

Reading Week Plans

The more time I spend at school, the more I wonder what's wrong with me. I can't seem to make friends. Aside from The Twins, I don't speak to anyone. Mostly because I can't stand the majority of the people in my program. The thing is, I was never really this antisocial. So I've narrowed what's wrong with me to 3 possibilities:

1) I've become an asshole who's quick to judge people somewhere these past few years. I've pegged a few people as either stupid or an asshole based on their conversations I've overheard or remarks they've made in class. Maybe they're actually really decent people.

2) Maybe I've become really picky about who I'm friends with. I have more friends now than I've ever had in my life, so I'm not as desperate to befriend just anyone. I certainly wasn't this discriminating when I was younger. Being nice to me was enough for me to like you.

3) Or maybe some of these people really are as unbearable as I think they are.

I mention this because this coming Wednesday, I'll be hanging out with some of these people. The Twins had suggested the idea of hanging out on Reading Week (which starts tomorrow for me). Being the narcissistic prick I am, I thought they wanted to hang out with just me, so I jumped at the chance.
Then I found out they meant hanging out with others in the program; some of whom are okay and some of whom are the aforementioned stupid people/assholes. The plan is to watch 'Slumdog Millionaire' and then go for dinner. So it's like a standard date, only instead of it being a romantic evening with a person I like, it's a platonic evening with two identical girls that I have the hots for and a bunch of people I don't speak to (despite seeing them every day in class).
I hope for my sake that I'll discover some of these people are actually really great and that my hunch that I'm a judgmental asshole is proven true.

6 comments:

Grizzly Fair said...

you'll have fun
smile :)

Owen said...

There's a girl in my class that sort of became my friend, but I don't think I really like her personality very much actually. She's like, this photographer girl who, I don't know, failed out of her chosen program and was put into Media Fundamentals with me and all the other people who didn't get into the programs they actually wanted, and she's all like "oh I already know all this stuff" in our intro to photography class, and it's really annoying. And she's always putting up her hand to talk about some experience she had growing up in Kingston, or to challenge the teacher on some god damn thing she disagrees with. And she said she started hanging out with me because I look like I'm "eccentric," and she's like all about hanging out with people who are "weird," oh goddd.

But it's too late for me to say 'I don't really want to be your friend all that much.' She's nice to me, I just kind of find her a bit boring/annoying. She's Irish and can drink an entire 26er, apparently, which is kind of awesome.

P.S. don't talk about this on my Facebook plz since we are Facebook friends.

michelle said...

my agree is with may.

even though i made a few friends in school we never ever hung out outside of school.

audreyssyp said...

what kind of person grows up in kingston!

Genie said...

OMG it's your reading week? come hang out with me!!!

Anonymous said...

Make sure to post what you thought about Slumdog Millionaire!